- This event has passed.
International Entrepreneur Meetup – Guest Speaker: Sushil Bhatia
September 20, 2016 @ 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM
Join us for our monthly International Entrepreneur Meetup with Sushil Bhatia as a Guest Speaker. Don’t miss out on a wonderful talk on Leadership, Innovation & the Art of Laughter!!!
Dr. Sushil Bhatia is an experienced Technical/Business Development Manager, innovator (he holds seven major patents), entrepreneur, author, consultant, professor and community leader.
After his initial education in India, Dr. Bhatia received a Ph.D (Doctor of Science in Chemistry, University de Liege, Belgium) specializing in polymers, adhesives, printing methods, labels and inks. He subsequently earned an MBA (Suffolk University, Boston, Massachusetts), specializing in marketing and sales.
Through a career of over twenty-five years, he has co-developed or invented many products in common use today: Glue Stic, unique convention/seminar name badges, mailing labels, laser/copier labels, binding systems and electro-sensitive paper.
He has led new product launch teams for Dennison with IBM and Gillette, and his efforts have led to commercial sales in the hundreds of millions of dollars. He has successfully started a variety of companies in diverse fields – printing, packaging, software, recycling and inks. These companies include:
– JMD Manufacturing – marking and coding equipment and supplies. Dr. Bhatia is currently President/ CEO of this company
– DeCopier Technologies Inc. – a radically new technology for erasing ink and ink-related images from printed and copied paper, directed toward insuring the security of confidential documents. This earned him widespread write-ups in The Wall Street Journal, The Boston Globe, The Boston Business Journal and various international publications, as well as interviews on ABC, NBC and CNN.
– Kriticka – a software company devoted to leveraging Dr. Bhatia’s extensive knowledge base in the ink, adhesives, packaging and printing industries
– Control Print India – a joint venture company with Indian entrepreneurs in the product identification and supplies business. The company now has 250 employees, has successfully completed an IPO and currently has sales of over Rs 300 million.
In addition he has started up a manufacturing plant in India and built it into a national distribution business. It was sold in the third year after 100% per year sales increases.
He also set up a distribution network for a Fortune 200 company in India, China and Hong Kong for its product identification, labeling and packaging products. This resulted in sales of over $20 million, despite local government restrictions.
Awards and Recognitions:
– Small Business of the Year (1997) by Chamber of Commerce
– Sam Walton Business Leader of the Year (1998)
– Economic Development Award (1997) by Chamber of Commerce
– Runner-up Innovation Award (1998) for New “Disruptive Technology” by Discover magazine
– Massachusetts’ Small Businessperson of the Year (2003) by U.S. Small Business Administration
Dr. Bhatia in very active in his local Framingham, Massachusetts community. He is past President of the Rotary Club, Chairperson of the Microloan program, board member of the Chamber of Commerce and editor of a community newsletter.
He is also active in TiE – the Massachusetts organization of Indian entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and local business people.
He is also the founder of the Laughing Clubs of America and has completed a small book “Laughing Your Way to Fitness with Yoga and Meditation (and that’s no joke).” He has spoken to the National Honor Society and at Babson College, the MIT Enterprise Forum, TiE Boston, Boston University and other organizations, and has given several talks to local audiences on “Leadership, Innovation and the Art of laughter”.
Dr. Bhatia currently is Executive in Residence and Professor at Suffolk University, and on the faculty of Babson College.
He is President/CEO of JMD Manufacturing and finds time to consult and write articles for business journals. He has recently written two articles on RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology for the leading industry publication in this field, and has presented on RFID at the global packaging show PackExpo in Chicago in November of 2004.
Ted Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?vv=yxZSW27njh4